Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fairies and Such

If you are reading this blog, you probably already read Turtle Soup, but I just want to let you know that the printed copy is temporarily unavailable for 48 hours. I'm reading the entire thing to a group of Pre-K kids (I think the book is a little too old for them, but the teacher insisted since they did a lot of author studies this year, and it was just way too exciting to have the actual author in the classroom to read the book to them.) I discovered some major typos that even my team of outstanding copy editors did not pick up on- the biggest one being that there are 2 chapter 11's, 2 chapter 15's, and no chapter 16. Even my mom who has the eyes of a hawk did not notice it, so I'm hoping not too many other people did either. I could pretend it didn't know about it, but as I know I have young aspiring writers reading my blog, I want to tell them about my mistakes as well as my triumphs. Writing is a never ending learning process, just like life!

I'm really making a lot of progress on book #2, which is tentatively called "The Fairy Hallow." This will most likely change, but I have to call it something! I'm learning some really great facts about fairies and changelings:

1) Changelings are actually a type of fairy.
2) If you cut a changelings hair, it will grow back in a day.
3) In the Catholic tradition, they believe that fairies were once angels who refused to take sides in the battle between God and Lucifer. They were banished to earth for their indecision- some to the ocean (mermaids), some to the barren countryside (leprechauns), and others underground (goblins and trolls). (Raised a Catholic, I found this one to be the most interesting. I'm pretty sure this was a compromise the priests made with the Irish. From all the stuff I've read recently, it is apparent that there was no way you were going to convince the Irish of yore that fairies weren't real, no matter how much you told them they were going to be damned for it.)

Enjoy this beautiful weather!

-AER

No comments:

Post a Comment