Thursday, June 30, 2011

Q&A with an aspiring author.....

My friend and I are both teachers and we share a student named Bianca. She came to my book signing and had a bunch of questions for me, but as there were a lot of people there, she did not get to talk to me much. She gave my friend a letter asking a whole bunch of questions. I'm so glad she did!

1) How long did it take you to write the book?
It took me about 1 1/2 years to write the book. If I was more disciplined and wrote everyday, I would have finished it much faster.

2) How long did take to edit and revise the book?
I spent about another year editing, and having other people read and give me notes.

3) Who is your publisher?
I published it through CreateSpace, which is Amazon's publishing house. It is free to publish with them!

4) What is the name of the writing formatter you use?
I use a program called Scrivener, which you can buy online.

5) Did you handwrite it before you typed it?
Yes! I carried a notebook with me everywhere I went. When I was waiting for appointments or waiting anywhere (I even bring my notebook to dance competitions!) I would write more!

6) What publishers did you send it to?
I did not send it to any publishers because in the book industry, you typically have to have an agent represent you. The agent then sends it to publishers. I have an agent, but I have no idea where they sent it!

7) How many people did you show it to before you sent it out?
I come from a family of writers and scholars so I had them all read it. I also read it aloud to my students. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to read your work out loud. It really makes you realize when your sentences sound funky.

8) Should I fix the grammar mistakes in my friend's work?
Yes! You may find this hard to believe, but I make HORRIBLE grammar mistakes. I used to be good at grammar, but constantly texting and emailing has ruined my grammar skills. I heavily rely on other people to fix my mistakes- especially my mom. She went to boarding school in a convent in Ireland so she knows her grammar pretty well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment